Last I checked, it’s still February, which means we are in the middle of National Children’s Dental Health month.
For us adults, the phrase “what’s good for the goose is good for the gander” is a sign of our age; I’m sure our children have a different phrase for it, if we could even understand it.
But what is often helpful in preserving the oral health of children is equally helpful for adults. In fact, you could argue that adults have a tougher time of it, because once you’ve gone through all of your baby teeth, you’re stuck with your teeth for the rest of your life – or until you lose a tooth (or several) to a dental injury or disease.
It’s easy to forget or take them for granted, but your teeth are actually very fragile things. They need just as much TLC and protection as any other part of your body, because when your teeth or gums stop functioning like they used to, the pain that often follows can be absolutely unbearable.
Not only will you or a loved one continue to needlessly suffer in this way, but you will also have to foot the bill for a procedure that will fix a problem that could have been avoided. That kind of reactionary approach is often more expensive than simple prevention, which is just a fraction of the cost yet just as (if not more) effective.
Yet it could be that you’re not aware of the types of preventive actions you could be taking aside from brushing, flossing, or a little mouthwash here and there. Don’t get me wrong, though: Brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash should be the Holy Trinity when it comes to smile maintenance at home.
Those can only do so much, and after a certain point, you’re going to need a San Antonio dentist who is passionate about preventative dentistry.
Let’s get started with an overview of some of the best services I can offer you that will protect your smile against disease, injury, and more!
- Fluoride rinse – Regular mouthwashes can be great for keeping bacteria in check, but can they rebuild your teeth? My practice can offer you special fluoride mouthwashes that can reverse tooth decay and repair any teeth under assault by acid-producing bacteria.
- Tooth sealant – You wouldn’t expect a football player to play without a helmet. Your teeth deserve that same level of protection. I can provide a safe chemical treatment that will have prevent cavities from taking root (literally) in your smile in just one afternoon!
- Teeth cleaning – There’s no better substitute for a thorough teeth cleaning like the kind I can give you. Your toothbrush and mint wax floss are only going to carry your so far, and will merely hold the line from further damage until you can schedule your appointment with my practice.
- Athletic mouthguards – Not all of the dangers that can harm your smile come in the form of microscopic bacteria. If you or your child play high contact sports, then you could be risking your smile (and thousands upon thousands of dollars in expensive reconstructive dentistry procedures). A customized athletic mouthguard can not only protect teeth from getting knocked out on the playing field, but it can reduce the chance of concussion by acting as a shock absorber.
- Semi-annual check-ups – Arguably the most important service any dentist can offer, because you can’t treat a problem unless you’ve identified it. Forgoing check-ups with your dentist twice a year is a recipe for certain disaster, and will allow any small problems to fester into bigger ones.
In conjunction with one another, these steps will lay the foundation for a strong, healthy smile that will last a lifetime. All it takes is just a little regular maintenance and regular trips to your dentist for checkups and cleanings at least twice a year.
But preventative dentistry isn’t going to magically fall out of the sky and conveniently land upon your lap; you have to go out and get it, either for yourself or for a loved one.
Fortunately, I make that extremely easy for all of my patients, including you. To schedule your appointment, please call me at 210-819-5233, or you can complete this online form to request an appointment through my website.