Dental Anxiety: Relax and We Have Solutions in San Antonio, TX!
It’s not uncommon for patients to dislike their trips to the dentist, but if you’re the kind of person who is actually anxious or frightened by the idea of dental care, the fear might stop you from getting care at all! For people suffering from dental anxiety, the very idea of scheduling an appointment can be debilitating. Our San Antonio, TX dentist at Advanced Dental Associates know what that feels like, and we have built our practice around care and compassion for patients like you!
Dr. Villarreal specializes in IV sedation, but ask Dr. Edwards, Dr. Malitz, Dr.Garcia and Dr. Long how to get relief during a more routine procedure!
The Dental Fear Jungle: Finding Your Way Back to CareComfort Options at Advanced Dental Associates Read Transcript
Our office offers various ways to make the patient more comfortable in our office. There is a little blue pill called Halcion and one of our techniques is called conscious sedation. Another way to express that is sleep sedation. Basically there is a little blue pill that the patient takes about an hour and a half before their dental treatment and it will relieve their anxiety, they will have amnesia and they won’t remember anything that we’ve done. Those are the types of patients it’s best for when we do a lot of treatment on them and they end up having a wonderful experience. As a matter of fact, a lot of our patients that you will hear from have had dental anxiety and they have had the sedation dentistry. There are some patients where we will do what is called IV sedation where basically due to surgical procedures; whether we are doing implants or we are doing large restorative cases, we will do IV sedation. We offer those services here in our office.
Dental fear can compound on itself until you’re hesitant to seek care for any number of reasons.
- What if the dentist scolds me for not being seen regularly?
- Will the staff judge me?
- My first appointment is definitely going to hurt!
- This problem is really minor, and besides, I don’t have the money for dental care!
No matter what your fear is telling you, all it’s doing is getting you further and further from care! When you’re scared, it can be incredibly hard to find your way out of the jungle, but we want to help you get back on the road to great, healthy teeth!
We’ll never shame, embarrass, or scold you for going without care – we’re just glad to have you back!
Dental Anxiety Solutions
Aside from having a staff dedicated to quality, compassionate dental care, we offer a variety of comfortable items and arrangements to help manage your fears.
For some patients, it can be as easy as getting comfortable in the chair. In that case, we are glad to offer a neck pillow and a blanket. We know it can get cold in an office, and we want to ensure your comfort!
For patients worried about hearing the sounds or seeing the sights of dental care, there’s no need to worry. Each of our operatory rooms is private and individual. Your medical care, which includes your dentistry, should be a private experience, and we’re glad to make that happen!
We also understand that many patients just need time to relax once they’re in the office. If that sounds like you, you’ll love our longer appointments. You can have a seat in the lobby or operatory, and we’ll start when you are ready!
For some patients, comfort items and our great staff might be wonderful, but the fear is still there. In that case, our San Antonio, TX dentist is happy to offer you several sedation options. You can be absolutely sure you’ll relax!
- Laughing gas is ideal for patients who just want to take the edge off a short procedure. You’ll feel relaxed, but you’ll still be conscious throughout your time in our dental chair. It’s quick to take effect and easy to shake off, making it a great choice!
- Oral Conscious Sedation is a pill that we prescribe prior to your appointment. You take it prior to coming in, and by the time you sit down, you’ll be incredibly relaxed! Even better, oral sedation has a mild amnesic effect, meaning that you might not remember the procedure at all. Due to the strength of oral sedation, we’ll require you to bring a friend who can give you a ride home.
- IV Sedation is our highest level available. With IV sedation, you’ll still be conscious, but you probably won’t remember your procedure at all. Called a “twilight state,” IV sedation will leave you responsive but very sedated. We like to call it “dental care while you sleep!”
Advanced Dental Associates is composed of different dentists with different expertise in the field of dentistry, who are active members of dental societies and organizations like the American Dental Associates, Academy of General Dentistry, San Antonio District Dental Society and many more.
No matter what kind of dental anxiety relief you need, Advanced Dental Associates understands and are ready to help! Don’t stay lost in the dental fear jungle – reach out and call our San Antonio, TX office today at 210-819-5233! You can also make an appointment using our online form. We look forward to being your guides on the road to a healthy smile!